Friday, August 22, 2014

DeadCell Interview

DEADCELL 1. Please introduce yourselves and tell us what you do in the band Marcus Bodine: vocals, songwriting & production Petra Guijt (Snowflame): guitar Stefaan Vantyghem: guitar Dylan Smith: bass Andreas Reinicke (Therion69): VJ, DJ, Backing vocals 2.How did you end up coming together as a band? DEADCELL started as a solo project in 2006 by Marcus Bodine. Soon after Therion69 joined the band as VJ for live videoprojections. Snowflame joined DEADCELL a few years later as guitar player. In between different bandmembers have come and gone while the DEADCELL concept changed. Recently Stefaan Vantyghem (Belgium) and Dylan Smith (Sweden) joined the band. I already met Stefaan a couple of years ago during a DEADCELL show in Belgium and the Coqrock festival he's co-organising. I met Dylan in London in 2010 when he was supporting DEADCELL and Punish Yourself with his solo project iNation. 3. Do the core fans of the band have a particular song they really seem to have latched into? Our most popular songs definately are 'Unchained', 'Dog of War', 'Lies' and our recent single 'Forever'. Check out the new single here: http://www.deadcell.nl 4. What is the concept behind your latest single 'Forever', what does that mean? 'Forever' is an ode to the person that supports you through thick and thin. No matter what happens, he/she's always there for you. 5. Who's produced 'Forever' and what has the experience been so far? Since I'm a sounddesigner and studio technician I produce all DEADCELL music myself under the name 'Zero To Midnight'. I can spend all my time into mixing and mastering the songs, getting the best results. In the past I colloborated with several mastering companies, but the results never matched my quality standard. So I stopped doing that and spent 10 years of my life learning how to mix and master myself as a pro. If the mix sucks, I'm the one to blame :) Check out my website if you're interested in mixing and/or mastering of your tracks: http://www.zerotomidnight.com 6. When fans come to a show, what show can they hope to see? Every DEADCELL show is different and every tour is different. We change the look and feel of our show every time. But the show is always solid (musicwise) and visually spectacular. For the new European tour the fans can expect some great surprises. Old songs will sound a little different. Bigger...better...LOUDER! 7. Are you guys generally considered to be a good live band? Yes we always deliver. At the moment we have the strongest line-up I've ever worked with. One by one quality musicians and also great people to work with. So for the fans now definately is THE time to see us live. 8. Describe your typical fan That's a hard question, since we have a very diverse fanbase. But in general I think our fans are open-minded and genuine music lovers of all ages. 9. What's the biggest show you've done so far and how did it go? We've done over 350 shows since 2006. We've toured with many well-known bands like Moonspell, Deathstars, Die Krupps, Unheilig, Hanzel und Gretyl, Gothminister, Samael and more. When I started this band I never expected to tour with all these bands. It truly is a blessing to get the opportunity to play with all these talented people. There are too many shows that have been awesome! In october we'll be doing the longest European tour we've done so far. Very much looking forward to that. 10. What's the worst experience you ever had while touring out with the band? Looooong time ago (when we started as a band) we performed at a squat party at Ford Pannerden (Holland). That was THE worst experience we ever had. No time schedule, shitty equipment that broke down halfway the set, terrible hygiene, disgusting food, spiders everywhere....do I need to say more? No more of that bullshit! #holla 11. When you're out there on the road, do you have an agenda to connect with people? Well on the road there isn't much time to connect with people. Touring is fun, but also exhausting and hard work. So we try to meet the fans after the show at the merchandising booth. That really is the only time we can actually meet and connect with our fans. The rest of the day is travelling, soundchecking, performing and catching some sleep here and there. 12. If you could put together "the perfect tour", which bands would you pick to tour with and why? I'd definately want to tour again with Moonspell and Oomph! The shows we did with these bands were really awesome and we kind of have the same audience. But Ministry is still one of my super favorites to tour with, so I definately hope we can support them in 2015. 13. What's your favorite band of all time? There are too many bands and artists I like. It changes all the time. So I can't really answer that question. There are too many talented musicians out there. 14. What's your favorite album or song that you cant stop listening to right now? Also impossible to answer. I listen to spotify and online radio, meaning tons of music a day. No song or album in particular. Everything goes, even schlager :D 15. What are your hopes for the future of DEADCELL? Lot's of touring. Working hard to get DEADCELL play for a larger audience at the moment. I believe we can be one of the biggest band in the genre. We're getting closer and closer to that goal. We just need more exposure. 16. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Still getting everything out of life and having a healthy balance between my family life, rock 'n roll and making music. I love my family and I love music. There's nothing else i need really. I'm already blessed with a great life. 17. Where are ya from? DEADCELL is an international band. Me, Petra and Andreas are from the Netherlands. Stefaan is from Belgium. Dylan is Australian, living in Sweden at the moment. 18. Who is the primary writer of the song lyrics? I write all the lyrics. Mainly by automatic writing. 19. Do you prefer indoor or outdoor playing? Both! 20. Ultimate stage fantasy? WACKEN needs us! 21. What is your hidden talents? Not using my talents would be a sin in my opinion, so I dont have any hidden talents.

No comments:

Post a Comment