Please tell us about the history of your band and its members.
We started up around the end of 2009. There have been a few member changes along the way. Chris started out as the Tech and moved onto rhythm guitar when one of the
guitarists just stopped coming to practice. Josh joined on Lead Guitar when Mike, who is still a huge part of the heart and soul of the band, passed away after a battle with cancer. But since the beginning Chris and Josh were both part of the band family, helping with tech stuff, gear, and just jamming around, so along with Mick they’ve pretty much been there from the start. We’ve had several changes in bass and drums, but things have really solidified with Don and Paul on Bass and Drums respectively.
2. What’s the origin of the band’s name? We get asked that a lot, especially with some raised eyebrows because it sound like it could be a lot of things. But the truth is we’re all big MMA fans and in the early days of the band we would get together at Mike’s house and watch the UFC fights and in between fights we’d go back and jam in the room he had set up. So we were sitting there watching a fight and Joe Rogan was commentating the fight and said “Oh he’s going for a Uma Plata (which is a submission in MMA)” and Mike and Mick were like “Oh that’s kind of a cool name” and the Joe Rogan said “Oh he’s transitioning to a Rear Naked Choke, that’s the number one finishing move in MMA” and they looked at each other and said “That’s it, Rear Naked Choke!!” and so that’s where the name came from.
3. Where is the band based out of and what is your music scene like there? Are there any local bands you could recommend? We’re based out of Abilene TX. It seems like our scene has lots of ups and downs, like most scenes probably do. For a while there it was on a pretty strong flow with bands but lately it’s had a bit of an ebb, but that seems to be how it goes, lots of ebbs and flows with it. One of the bands that has been around and stayed pretty strong through it all is theObvious, they’re really good, at first you get a Deftones vibe with them but all their own thing really.
4. How would you describe your style? We’re Heavy Music, we tend to ride the line between Hard Rock and Metal so it’s hard to say we’re exactly “this” or “that” but we’re firmly planted in the Heavy Music Genre.
5. What have you released so far and what can someone expect from your works? We’ve released a EP a few years ago called ‘The Prelims’ that contained 5 tracks of the demo versions we had of some of our songs. In September of 2017 we released our first full length self titled album. It contains 10 songs with includes the final, studio versions of the songs on the EP as well as others. That version of the album will be going out of print soon and we’ll be releasing a updated, expanded version after that but that’s all we can say at the moment
6. Do you have any new music in the works? Yea, we currently have somewhere between 8-12 songs that we’re writing that are either done (at least initially) or are in process for the next album
7. How about playing shows and touring, have anything planned out? Currently we’re working on plotting out our plans for the Summer and Fall for touring. We’re going to be focusing on our Southwest Region for the first part of the plans. So we’ll be looking at Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Louisiana and the surrounding states. After that we’re looking to start moving out from that initial hub. We’re also looking at a couple of possible tour packages so that could change them plans.
8. What plans do you have for the future as a band? We’re in the process of a lot of behind the scenes stuff right now that will open us up to a lot of new audiences so we’re excited to see how that will go. Other than that we just plan to keep on playing shows and working on new material for the next album and beyond.
9. Where can we listen to your band and where can we buy your stuff? The album is available on all the major online media retailers, as well as streaming services. We’re on most of the major social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and more, the easiest way to find all those is through our website at www.RNCtheBand.com. On the website you can also order the album and we’ll be adding some other merch soon as well.
10. What is it you’d like a listener to remember the most when hearing your music for the first time? We just want them to enjoy the music. We have songs that have some deeper meaning and feelings in them but we also have some songs that are fun. So we just hope that they find something they enjoy and they can connect to.
Chris - Rear Naked Choke www.RNCtheBand.com